Students occasionally need letters from the University, for a variety of reasons. This page lists various types of letter and how to obtain each.
This page is accurate for students on courses accredited by the University of South Wales (formerly Glamorgan). It has not yet been updated to include advice for students whose courses are accredited by the University of Wales (i.e. courses based in Newport).
Council Tax Letter
Also called Council Tax Exemption Certificate, you can obtain a Council tax letter online if you are eligible. These letters become available after teaching has begun each academic year.
If you need a letter for previous academic years, please contact your faculty.
Student Status Letters for other purposes
Student Status Letters are not recognised for Council Tax exemption. You can request letters specifically for:
- Student Status
- Opening bank accounts
- CAS Visa Extentions
- Schengen Visas
- Other types of visas
- Student Loans Company and Local Authority Requests
- Other bespoke letters
You can obtain these letters from your Faculty:
- In the Faculty of Advanced Technology, you can use a Student Letter Request Form to obtain your letter, or a separate SLC / LA Request form for Student Loans Company / Local Authority requests.
- In the Faculty of Business and Society, you can request a student letter online.
- In the Cardiff School of Creative and Cultural Industries, you can obtain letters through the Advice Shop.
- In the Faculty of Health, Sport and Science, you can obtain letters throught the Advice Shop.
We've added a list of popular social bookmarking on our pages - it is not a complete list, but the same selection of sites that the BBC have identified as being useful to a UK audience.
If you already have an account with one or more of these services, you can use the links automatically. If not, you can sign up for free with any of them.